Thursday, May 17, 2012

AIGA See Change Conference

 Yesterday I attended the  AIGA See Change Conference at the University of Minnesota. I really like the idea behind this conference, as it's much more multidisciplinary than some of the other design conferences that I have been to. As a designer, or really if you practice any creative medium, I think that it is so important to be exposed to work and ideas outside the realm of what you normally do or think about on a daily basis.

The variety of speakers was fantastic, everything from fashion photography to data visualization and one of the presenters even creates Rube Goldberg machines for a living! It truly was a fascinating and inspiring day. Below are some of my highlights from the conference.



 The conference kicked off with a keynote by the legendary original madman George Lois, who created the "I want my MTV" ad campaign, along with a billion other high profile projects.  He is a feisty one, for sure! The amount of expletives that flew out of that man's mouth was incredible. I purchased his new book, Damn Good Advice (for people with talent!). It looks like it will be a good read.

Joseph Herscher is a kinetic artist who makes complicated and comical inventions, it's amazing that he has made a career for himself from such a unique passion and skill. Check out this wonderful video of his work.



 A photo from Austin Kleon's talk, he is a writer, artist and the author of Blackout Poetry as well as a new book entitled, Steal Like An Artist.



All in all, an invigorating day that left me with a lot to think about. I can't wait for next year!


1 comment:

  1. I love Austin Kleon...have a couple of his 20x200 prints. Sounds like a great day!

    ReplyDelete